Updated in 8.5
You can modify the properties of a Software Product as follows:
- In the
Desktop App, go to the Software Catalog and double-click a Software Product record. To bring up the Software Product [Product Name] dialog box opens.
- Make your changes as needed. The following properties are available:
- Product Name — The product name (required, auto-populated).
- Version — The version of the software product (auto-populated).
- Manufacturer — The manufacturer of the product (auto-populated).
You can manually associate software products with their manufacturers by clicking the ellipsis button in the Manufacturer field and choosing a manufacturer in the Select Manufacturer dialog box.
- Part Number — The Manufacturer Part Number (MPN), Stock-keeping Unit (SKU), or Universal Product Code (UPC) of the product. This field is maintained only manually.
- Platform — The OS platform: Windows, Linux, or Mac (auto-populated).
- MS Store App - the check box that shows whether this application is downloaded from Microsoft Store.
NOTE: You can change the value of the check box manually. If the product is downloaded from the Microsoft Store, select the MS Store App check box. Otherwise, clear the check box.
- Web Page — The product's website address. When this field is filled out, you can open the website in your default Internet browser by clicking the Web Page link.
- Description — This field is maintained manually. You can type in any description or additional information about the product.
- Category — The software category for product classification.
- Group — The software group for product classification (required). All newly added products are assigned to the default group (typically, the Primary group).
INFO: For details, see Classification of Software Products.
- License Required (for standalone Alloy Discovery only) - This field specifies whether the software product requires a software license, meaning the product imposes some restrictions on the number of allowed installations. By default, all automatically created software products have the Unknown value in the License Required field. When License Required is set to Yes, the software product’s compliance is determined based on the number of discovered installations and available software licenses. Products with License Required set to No are always compliant, regardless of the number of detected installations.
INFO: For details, see Configuring Software Licenses.
- Compliance Policy (for standalone AD only) — The license policy which defines how Alloy Discovery checks the license compliance:
- Per Installation - This policy states that the respective software requires one license entitlement per every installation of the product. It remains compliant as long as the number of software installations does not exceed the number of allowed installations (the License Qty value). This policy applies by default to all newly created licenses.
- Manual - This policy states that the licensing compliance of respective software is controlled manually. When there is at least one license with "Manual" policy specified for its software product, it will always be compliant regardless of other licensing parameters (including the License Qty value).
INFO: For details, see Viewing License Usage Statistics.
- By default, all Software Products are treated as standalone products. Under This product is, you can combine several products into a product suite.
INFO: For details, see Combining Several Products into a Product Suite.
Alloy Discoverycreates a new product automatically, it sets the New flag, so you can easily identify such products. After you have reviewed and classified the product, you may clear the New check box.
NOTE: Alternatively, you can select one or several records in the Software Products list, right-click the selection, and use the Clear New Flag command from the pop-up menu. If you want to restore the New flag, use the Mark as New command.
- Click OK to save your changes.