The Software Catalog is a repository of software products discovered during the audit. The Software Catalog helps you take control over your company’s software inventory and enables you to track software products efficiently.
You can access the Software Catalog as follows:
- In the standalone edition of Alloy Discovery, select Software > Software Catalog from the Sidebar.
- In Alloy Discovery integrated with Alloy Navigator 8 Suite, select Tools > Software Catalog from the main menu.
Using the Software Catalog you can perform the following tasks:
- Classify software products by assigning them to a certain software group. For details, see
Managing Software Groups, Classification of Software Products.
- Classify software products by assigning them to a software category. For details,
Managing Software Categories, Classification of Software Products.
- Track software suites by combining several software products into a suite. For details, see Combining Several Products into a Product Suite.
- Tailor product recognition rules to your requirements. For details, see Modifying Software Recognition Rules.
Alloy Discoveryto recognize software products that can not be recognized automatically. For details, see Adding Software Products to Software Catalog.
- Avoid tracking multiple minor software versions individually by merging several versions into one master software product. For details, see Merging Software Products.
- Monitor software licensing compliance (if you have the standalone edition of Alloy Discovery). For details, see Monitoring Software Compliance.
NOTE: If you have the Alloy Navigator 8 Suite, you manage licenses using Alloy Navigator’s tools. For details, see Integrating Alloy Discovery with Alloy Navigator 8 and Alloy Navigator Administration Guide > How To Monitor Software Licensing Compliance.
- Back up your Software Catalog by exporting software products to an external file. Transfer your Software Catalog to another database by importing software products from an external file. For details, see
NOTE: Using the Settings app, you can manage manufacturers of recognized software products. For details, see Managing Software Manufacturers.
- Track software vendors (if you have the standalone edition of Alloy Discovery). For details, see Creating a List of Software Vendors.