Associating devices with new Software Licenses
When you purchase additional licenses for the same software product you end up with several Software License records associated with the same Tracked Software. For example, you acquired a Windows 7 license for 50 computers and allocated it to all computers where Windows 7 is installed. But in reality, you have 60 computers running Windows 7. This software license is out of compliance since you exceeded the number of allowed installations. In order to achieve compliance, you need to purchase 10 additional licenses and adjust original allocations. This can be done in two ways. You could open the original license, manually deallocate it from ten computers, then open the new license and allocate it to those same computers. This way the original license will be allocated to 50 computers, and the new license will be allocated to the remaining 10 computers. Both licenses will be in compliance because the number of allocations will match the number of entitlements for each license.
However, there is a faster and easier way of associating devices with new software licenses—using the Associate Devices with another License command:
- In the Desktop App, go to Software > Software Licenses.
- Open a license where you want to modify allocations.
- Click the Allocation tab. You see the list of devices the license is currently allocated to.
- Select devices you want to deallocate from this license with another license instead and click Allocate > Associate Devices with another License. The Select License dialog box opens.
- In the Select License dialog box, you see the list of licenses that have the same Tracked Software. Select a license where you want to relocate selected devices and then click OK.
NOTE: When a Tracked Software does not have any other licenses, the Select Licenses list is empty.