Install the new version of the Web App for Technicians on the web server (IIS server) which currently hosts your production Web App of a previous version, to a pilot web site. For details, see Pilot Web Site for New Web Services.
INFO: For the full list of preliminary considerations and preparations for the Web App, see Installing and Configuring the Web App.
AlloyInstaller.exefile from the network share, where you saved extracted installation files earlier. Alternatively, you can run Alloy Navigator
Express8 Installer and extract its temporary files again.
- Click Advanced Installation. The Advanced Installation page appears.
Click Install Alloy Navigator
ExpressWeb App 8.x.x.
The installation wizard will automatically analyze your computer, and test for prerequisites. If any of the tests fail, the wizard displays a warning message along with a hyperlink, which shows additional information about the encountered issue.
You can make the necessary changes and then recheck the prerequisites by clicking Recheck. To go back to the Advanced Installation page of the installation wizard, click Close.
- Click Install to proceed. The Setup Wizard starts.
- On the Welcome page, click Next. The License Agreement page opens.
- Review and confirm the terms of the license agreement, then click Next. The Installation Folder page opens.
Click Next to install the Web App to the default Alloy Navigator
Express8 installation folder (
\Program Files (x86)\Alloy Software\Alloy Navigator
8\). If you want to install the Web App to a different folder, click Change, browse to choose the installation folder, click OK to return to the wizard page, and click Next.
The Report Viewer page appears.
Report viewer components are necessary for viewing and printing reports in the Web App. Select which component to install or accept the default selection.
Click Next. The Ready to install... page appears.
If needed, keep the Create a desktop shortcut for Alloy Navigator
ExpressWeb App 8 check box selected.
Click Install to begin the installation. Click Back if you need to review or change any of the choices you made.
- On the Completed... page, keep the Run the Web Configuration check box selected. Click Finish to complete the installation process.
The Web Configuration tool for version 8 opens and the Create Web App wizard starts.
Configure the new version of the Web App using the configuration settings from your production Web App. If you are upgrading from version 7, the configuration settings will be imported automatically. For earlier versions, you will need to re-apply your production configuration manually.
TIP: If you cleared the Run the Web Configuration check box when installing the Web App version 8, you can launch the Web Configuration tool for version 8 when needed using the Alloy Control Panel or from the Start menu.
- If you are upgrading from version 7: On the Web App Creation Mode page, keep the Import Web App configuration settings option selected. Then specify the directory containing the Web App version 7. To help you identify this directory, the Web Configuration tool 8 displays this icon next to its name: .
Click Next. This imports all configuration settings from your production Web App 7 to your pilot instance of the Web App 8.
On the Database page, specify the Database Access Key that the Web App will use to connect to your pilot Alloy Navigator
Express8 database. Typically, this page will appear with all fields populated. However, you can import the key or fine-tune the database connection details, if needed.
Click Import Key to import the Database Access Key.
INFO: For details, see Importing the Database Access Key.
Fine-tune the database connection details, if needed: in the SQL Server field, enter the network address of the SQL Server, which may differ from the SQL Server name specified in the Database Access Key.
- View the imported description of your Web App or type a new one. Click Next. The Installation Type page opens.
Specify where to install the Web App. We recommend that you use a pilot web site.
INFO: For details, see Pilot Web Site for New Web Services.
Click Install into a virtual directory, then click Next.
The Web Site page displays all web sites available on your IIS server. Select the pilot site that you created earlier (in our example, it is
8 Pilot Site), and click Next. The Virtual Directory page opens.
- Keep the default name of the virtual directory to create or type in a different name. Click Next.
- Review your imported User Authentication Type or choose the type that suits your needs. Click Next.
- Skip the Workflow Integration step and click Next.
- Review your imported Logo Image and specify a new image file, if needed. Click Next.
- Skip the Mobile App Service step and navigate to the Ready to Apply Settings page opens.
- Click Apply to apply your settings. Click Previous if you need to make any changes. Wait for the Web Configuration tool to configure the portal.
- When completed, the Web Configuration tool shows the Web App page with the newly applied settings. Using the Configure buttons you can adjust any settings, if needed.
Click Next. The Web page opens.