Creating User Defined Fields
You can create a number of user-defined fields (UDFs) allowing the Network Inventory user the manually maintain custom data for each node, for example, asset information, maintenance information, notes, etc. You can add UDFs for any Network Inventory object class: All Nodes, Computers, and Network Devices.
When you are viewing an object’s details in the Network Inventory console, all UDFs are displayed on the Custom Data tab of the object details window. This tab appears if you have created at least one UDF for the object class. If you also want to see user-defined fields as columns in a data view, those fields must be added to the corresponding data view configuration.
Network Inventory supports the following data types for user-defined fields:
- Integer — an integer value between -99999999 and 99999999;
- Logical — a boolean value (True or False). These values appear on the screen as check boxes on the object details window, or as check marks in data grids;
- Currency — a currency value, which consists of a decimal value and a currency symbol, e.g. $500.00;
- String — a text up to 1000 characters long;
- Memo — blocks of binary data or text up to 1 GB in size;
- Date — date values;
- Date/Time — date and time values (time stamps);
- Lookup — fields where the user can choose a value from a list of available items. These fields appear in object details windows as drop-down lists.