Install server components of Alloy Discovery
Updated in 2021.2
IMPORTANT: If you are migrating from Alloy Navigator Express 8 or earlier, install server components of Alloy Discovery 2023 on a separate computer. If you are migrating from Alloy Navigator Express 7 or 6, we recommend that you install server components of Alloy Discovery 2023 on your production server hosting the Automation Server of the previous version.
Run the Alloy Discovery installer on a server computer and perform a full installation. This will install both server and client components, including the administrative tools that will be needed later in the upgrade process.
Run the Alloy Navigator Installer.
- By default, the installer extracts its temporary files to the
C:\Alloyfolder. If the folder does not exist, the installation wizard will create it for you.
NOTE: If you want to change the destination folder, click Browse and make a new temporary folder for installation files.
TIP: When you need to install Alloy
Navigator2023 Enterprisecomponents on multiple computers, you can copy this folder to a network share and then run the
AlloyInstaller.exefile from there. If no longer needed, this folder and its content can be manually removed after the upgrade has finished.
Click Extract. When the files are extracted, the Welcome page appears.
Click Advanced Installation. The Advanced Installation page appears.
- Select Install Alloy Discovery 2023.1.
The installation wizard will automatically analyze your computer, and test for prerequisites. If any of the tests fail, the wizard displays a warning message along with a hyperlink, which shows additional information about the encountered issue. You can make the necessary changes and then recheck the prerequisites by clicking Recheck.
NOTE: If you need to access Alloy Discovery reports on this server computer, make sure that you have Microsoft System CLR Types for SQL Server 2016 installed. This is the prerequisite for the new version of Microsoft Report Viewer. If the prerequisite is missing, the installer displays a warning message along with a hyperlink. Click the hyperlink and then click Install.
Click Install to proceed. The Setup Wizard starts and the Welcome page appears.
Click Next. The End-User License Agreement page opens.
Review and confirm the terms of the license agreement, then click Next. The Setup Type page opens.
- Select the Full (Client and Server) installation option and click Next to install Alloy Discovery 2023 to the default installation folder (
\Program Files\Alloy Software\Alloy Discovery 2023\). If you want to install Alloy Discovery to a different folder, click Change, browse to choose the installation folder, click OK to return to the wizard page, and click Next.
The Report Viewer page opens.
- Report viewer components are necessary for viewing and printing reports in the Alloy Discovery Desktop App. If you need to access Alloy Discovery reports on this server computer, make sure you install the latest version of Microsoft Report Viewer for SQL Server 2016 (leave the check boxes selected).
Click Next. The Ready to install page appears.
- If needed, keep the Create a desktop shortcut for Alloy Discovery 2023 check box selected.
Click Install to start the installation. Click Back if you need to review or change any of your settings.
- When the installation is complete, the Completed page appears. After the installation of Alloy Discovery on the server, you should migrate your production Alloy Discovery data into a new Alloy Discovery2023 database using the Database Management tool
for Alloy Discovery.
Keep the Run the Database Management to create a new Alloy Discovery database check box selected and click Finish to complete the installation process.