Updated in 8.4
We recommend that you install server components of Alloy Navigator 8 on your production server hosting the Automation Server of the previous version.
Run the Alloy Navigator 8 installer on a server computer and perform full installation. This will install both server and client components of Alloy Navigator 8, including the administrative tools used later in the upgrade process.
- Run the
AlloyInstaller.exefile from the network share, where you saved extracted installation files earlier. Alternatively, you can run Alloy Navigator 8 Suite Installer and extract its temporary files again.
- Click Advanced Installation. The Advanced Installation page opens.
- Click Install Alloy Navigator 8.7.
- The installation wizard will analyze your computer and test for prerequisites. If any of the tests fail, the wizard displays a warning message along with a hyperlink, which shows additional information about the encountered issue. You can make the necessary changes and then recheck the prerequisites by clicking Recheck.
NOTE: If you need to access Alloy Navigator reports on this server computer, make sure that you have Microsoft System CLR Types for SQL Server 2016 installed. This is the prerequisite for the new version of Microsoft Report Viewer. If the prerequisite is missing, the installer displays a warning message along with a hyperlink. Click the hyperlink and then click Install.
- Click Install to proceed. The Setup Wizard starts and the Welcome page appears.
- Click Next. The End-User License Agreement page opens.
- Read and confirm the terms of the license agreement, then click Next. The Setup Type page appears.
- Select the Full (Client and Server) installation option. Click Next to install Alloy Navigator 8 to the default installation folder (
\Program Files (x86)\Alloy Software\Alloy Navigator
8\). If you want to install Alloy Navigator to a different folder, click Change, browse to choose the installation folder, click OK to return to the wizard page, and click Next. If you want to install Alloy Navigator to a different folder, click Change, browse to choose the installation folder, click OK to return to the wizard page, and click Next.
The Report Viewer page opens.
- If you need to access Alloy Navigator reports on this server computer, make sure you install the latest version of Microsoft Report Viewer for SQL Server 2016 (leave the check boxes selected).
- When the installer detects a previous version of Alloy Navigator on this computer, the Previous Installations page appears. Clear the Uninstall Alloy Navigator 6/7 check box because your production server is still the Automation Server of a previous version.
IMPORTANT: Make sure to clear theUninstall Alloy Navigator 6/7 check box before you proceed to the next step!
Click Next. The Ready to install page appears.
- Click Install to start the installation. Click Back if you need to review or change any of your settings.
- When the installation is complete, the Completed page appears.
After the installation of Alloy Navigator on the server, you should migrate your production Alloy Navigator data into a pilot Alloy Navigator 8 database using the Database Management tool
for Alloy Navigator.
- Keep the Run the Database Management to create a new Alloy Navigator database check box selected if you want to launch the wizard and proceed to the next Step. For further instruction, see Create a Pilot Alloy Navigator 8 Database below.
- If you want to create a pilot database later, clear this check box.
Click Finish to complete the installation process.