To configure e-mail settings for the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP), follow the steps below:
- In the Settings app, navigate to Services > E-mail Settings.
- In the Choose e-mail service field, choose Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP).
- If you want to specify the default sender's e-mail address, type it in the 'From' e-mail address field. This address will appear in the "From" header of outgoing e-mail messages. However, you will be able to specify another "From" address when configuring a particular Alert.
- If you need to change the default Unicode (UTF-8) character set, select one in the Character set list.
- Under SMTP server, enter the name and port number of your outgoing SMTP mail server.
- If your SMTP server requires users to authenticate, select the My outgoing (SMTP) server requires authentication check box and type in the user name and password.
- If your SMTP server requires Security Password Authentication, select the Require Secure Password Authentication (SPA) check box.
- In the Secure Connection section, select one of the following options:
- None— This establishes an insecure (plain text) connection.
- STARTTLS, if available — This establishes a secure connection using the STARTTLS extension if it is supported by the mail server. If the server does not support STARTTLS, an insecure connection is established.
- STARTTLS - The Mail Connector will attempt to establish a secure connection using the STARTTLS extension. If the mail server does not support STARTTLS, a connection is not established.
- SSL/TLS - The Mail Connector will attempt to establish a secure connection. If the mail server does not support SSL/TLS, a connection is not established.
- If you want to prevent communication with e-mail servers using an invalid certificate, select the Reject invalid certificates check box.
- To check the connection parameters, click Test Settings. In the Send Test Message dialog box, enter a valid e-mail address to send a test message to, choose an Inventory Server instance (if you have more than one), and click OK.
- Click Save.