Choose the migration mode page
Migration imports all your data (i.e. the configuration information and data records) from your existing production database to a new Alloy Discovery 8 database. We recommend that you migrate your data in two steps:
- The first "Migrate to a new database" step imports all your data from the production database to a new Alloy Discovery 8 database. Then you can use that new database for initial testing while still using your existing system in production.
- Once you are ready to begin the production use of version 8, upgrade your production database.
Alternatively, you can migrate your data in one step. If you are ready to begin the production use of Alloy Discovery 8 and you are not planning to use your old system in production, just use the "Upgrade production database"option. However, the recommended migration scenario includes two steps, as described above.
Choose an option:
- Migrate to a new database - Choose this option if you want to deploy a new independent instance of Alloy Discovery while still using your existing system in production. All data from your existing production database will be copied to a new Alloy Discovery 8 database. Your existing production system will not be affected.
- Upgrade the production database - Choose this option if you want to upgrade your production system. This means the following:
- Your existing (old) production database is taken offline and renamed to DatabaseName_SAVE. This renamed copy will serve as a backup of your existing system.
- A new Alloy Discovery 8database is created. All data from your existing (old) production database is imported to the new database, and this new production database takes the name of your old production database.
- In the new production database, the Automatic Upgrade feature turns on.
NOTE: The Automatic Upgrade helps distribute client components of Alloy Discovery 8 among your technicians. This feature is supported only if you are upgrading from version 7.2 or later. For details, see Enabling Automatic Upgrade.